About Me

My photo
Ontario, Canada

Friday, July 29, 2011

Broom Casting

Broom Casting Pendant with Pink Opal
Broom Casting Pendant














These are two pendants I created with my Sterling Silver Broom Castings.  Both are available on my ETSY shop at Adornametals

Broom casting is a wonderful way to create organic freeform pieces of art jewellery.  They often resemble stalactite.


1) This is where it starts, the straw is soaked overnight or longer then bound together and placed standing upright in a pail of wet sand. 





















2) The silver is heated up in a well seasoned crucible before being poured onto the straw.























3) The end result!  Once the the straw has been doused with water and cooled, the straw can be untied to reveal the cast silver.  VOILA!














I was lucky, my pieces turned out rather large, giving me lots of flexibility and inspired many ideas for how to incorporate them in with my lapidary work.



No comments:

Post a Comment